Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pagosa Springs, Chama, Abiquiu

Last evening found us searching for a campsite near Pagosa Springs. As the stars were filling the sky,we found our spot beside the San Juan River. We met the campground host, a sprightly old gentleman, vowing to get us the best spot in the campground....if I cuddled closely while we searched on his golf cart. I did and he delivered. We settled on a green spot, under a willow. Right by the river. I put the kettle on and started the fire. WFS set up the tent. The camper/hunter next to us came over to share the fire. After a full day driving (yes, we did), we were too tired to prepare dinner. I dug out some cheese, crackers and apples. Our new friend/camper brought over his beer, WFS had some wine and I, my hot tea. We streched our weary bones by the fire and talked into the night.
The photo shows our misty morning view from my warm tent bed. Years and years ago, Dan and I went camping on a lake in back country Ky. We packed in ( about a mile) a canoe, a quilt and some grub. We made camp on a cliff high above the lake. We streched out on the ground and were in deep sleep under the stars. Suddenly, in the middle of the night, a series of cracks and pops bolted us from our sleep. The rocks we had placed around our fire were exploding in the chilly night air. After our hearts stopped pounding, we laughed like hyenas! We have referred to this as the 'SPOLDING ROCK ADVENTURE ever since that night. The next morning we canoed
across the lake into the cattails, only the two of us and the red winged blackbirds occupied that misty, magical lake.
As the old song goes, "we were so much younger then, we're older than that now."

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Will you and WFS take me camping one day? I'll never get MY man to do it.

Stop me if you've heard this one:

me: What do you call that black bird with the red wings?

fishing guide: Uh, we call that a red-winged blackbird.

SBD said...

Cathy, I would take you to the ends of the earth~~~~
we are having more fun than is allowed for two old birds! Red winged or not...