Tuesday, October 21, 2008

THIS AND THAT

THOUGH I HAVE NO PHOTOS TO PROVE IT, MUCH ACTIVITY HAS BEEN GOING ON AT OUR HOUSE THE PAST TWO DAYS. PHOTOS TOMORROW. THE ROOF IS ON, A FINE METAL ROOF. MY HANDY GENIUSES HAVE DONE A REMARKABLE JOB. THEY ALSO BROUGHT GIFTS YESTERDAY. FRESH HOME/FARM RAISED ANGUS BEEF, MUSTARD GREENS AND SWEET POTATOES. EVEN MORE REMARKABLE! I WAS COOKING ALL OF THE ABOVE YESTERDAY, WHEN I SUDDENLY HAD A HANKERING FOR APPLE SOMETHING. APPLES WERE GREAT AT THE FARMER'S MARKET THIS WEEK. DORIE GREENSPAN WINS AGAIN. YEARS AGO, I MADE APPLE BROWN BETTY. I HADN'T EVEN THOUGHT OF THIS DESSERT FOR YEARS....I CONSULTED DORIE'S COOKBOOK AND SURE ENOUGH, SHE HAD A RECIPE. THIS IS A BRILLIANT DESSERT. IF YOU GET A HANKERING FOR APPLES FINISHED WITH A LOVELY CRUNCHY TOP, CONSIDER THIS:

Apple Brown Betty

Filling:
5-6 apples, thinly sliced
11/2 T lemon juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 T flour

Topping

6 slices firm white bread ( pepperidge farm)..Challah is terrific
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 T white sugar
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg( my addition)
5 T melted butter

Pulse bread in food processsor to yield about 3 cups. Toss bread crumbs, sugars, spices and butter to combine.
Place apple filling in a 9' pan..sprinkle topping evenly over apples. Bake 375 for 35-40 minutes or until golden on top.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Mmmm, nothing like a homey apple dessert in autumn. I want to try the Grandma's Apple Cake from Dorie's book.

SBD said...

DAN IS HERE! WE READ THIS TOGETHER~~~
We are both longing for a visit.

Cathy said...

ME TOO!!! I miss my Kentucky family.

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

I'm secretly envious that you live near Dan. I haven't met you yet, but if, no when Martyn and I get to Kentucky [this will be some time, don't start worrying yet] I do hope we will get to visit your place and have some apple dessert.

Cathy said...

Katherine, you will adore Sarah. And vice versa.

So when are we going?

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

Unless airfares go way down, or jobs fo way up, I will have to do a pack trip with Pino. This could take some time.

BUT, we REALLY do want to come. I think though we need to be realistic and think about a late '09 trip. I feel I know so much from Dan's writings and REALLY want to see the cemetary. Maybe sleep in the nest.
I'm sure I'll love Sara - and of course she will love Martyn, and like everyone, she will like Martyn better than me becasue he is just so gosh darn nice.

SBD said...

Our guys will have much in common...WFS is a gem....though I don't often praise him enough!!!!!!

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

Dan doesn't know, nor does Martyn yet, but I re-wrote the will last month so that if I die, heaven forbid, Dan gets Martyn and Cathy gets the cats.