Thursday, August 21, 2008

SBD's top ten in Louisville

After reading AE's fine contribution to our food, travel and adventure blog, I decided to tackle the top ten. AE and I have discussed this in various configurations many times...who? what? where? the best, always a variable in the dining scene . There are restaurants, however, in Louisville, that can always be counted on to provide fine dining, great service or as in the case of the Come Back Inn, something entirely off the charts of ordinary review criterion. So, I start my list of ten:

Le Relais. There is only one thing I could add, the art deco interior has a mood unsurpassed by any other restaurant in Louisville. Outside dining, with small planes buzzing around Bowman field, is a great alternative to the dressy interior...just sit back,order a drink, enjoy the splendid cuisine in a casual atmosphere. Le Relais is the best,. hands down.

Jack Fry's. I think we've covered this fine establishment. Jack Fry's never fails, it has a buzz without small planes and is the place to see and be seen, or sit and go unnoticed.....

610 Magnolia. One of the things I loved about Ed Garber's 610 Magnolia was Ed. Ed Lee(from NYC) has a flicker, Eddie Garber, a red hot flame. Enough said.

211 Clover. A lovely, lovely restaurant. Fine french cuisine served with a local twist... a beautiful outside patio under a big, leafy tree...and servers that know food, love food and can recommend wine to match. A brilliant combination. 211 Clover works for me, and seemingly dozens of other assisted living types.....

Maido Japanese. Chef Toki is from Japan and learned at her mother's knee. She is a young, exquisite chef. She can produce art on a plate that brings gasps....She would be on my top ten for her seaweed salad and noodles. When I asked her secret, she told me she chants over her noodles and broth....I am not sure what this does, but the results of ethereal. On a drizzly evening with just the hint of winter, Toki can restore my soul with her noodles.

Mojitos. New, exciting, crammed with people vying for a seat. Latin, Cuban, French fusion. What's not to like? I want to go often but getting in is a process ...and it takes patience...I am an instant gratification girl~~~~~~~

Simply Thai. It shocked me that I included this restaurant. It is in our neighborhood. The chef is a woman,formerly a doctor, from Thailand. We can get take away, bring it home or eat in the tiny purple dining room. Whichever way we chose, the tofu is dreamy, the curry fiery and the ingredients fresh, fresh, fresh. I long for that combination and Simply Thai simply gets it.

Blue Dog Bakery. I know, I know...it isn't a dinner establishment....but if you have breakfast or lunch at Blue Dog it is so incredible that you don't NEED another meal. Their artisan bread is legendary. Their food incomprehensibly good, the dining room spotless clean and cozy. From their sandwiches prepared on fresh, real bread to their eggs with piperade, this place rocks. We need only to crack the door and our Americano and lattes are started. Service can be a bit spotty but once you get the Blue Dog rhythm and relax into it, things go much easier....Blue Dog makes my list because for years it is the place I go again and again. All seasons, it brings me delight. I could not imagine Louisville without Blue Dog.

The Patron. Great local food. Great location. Funky interior. Good art. Sunday brunch, heavenly. Not without its flaws...but for most of the time, The Patron succeeds. Owner and chef, Amber McCool is hands on, as is her partner and the in house baker, Matt. They have a combination that is so cool.

Lily's and The English Room. Very different, both good, consistent and certainly fine enough to make a top ten anywhere across the universe. We are lucky to have both in Louisville, so why don't I eat there more often? Probably because my grid is set in stone. We eat at home a lot and nights out we wander the same circuit. I save my culinary adventures for road trips.

And now, drum roll~~~~~~~~Proof....we are lucky to have this off beat and imaginative spot in Louisville. However, Chef Michael needs to go to southern hospitality school. We, here in the gateway to the south, are used to our enquiring being indulged, if not answered. We steadfastly stand on manners....and a welcome smile. I get extraordinarily good service MOST of the time...but Proof can fall so short so much of the time that is is hard for me to muster,"Let's go to Proof." For a $150.00 & up for two, you gotta treat me like Madame Vanderbilt...

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I loved our lunch at the Blue Dog.

Please expand (privately, if you prefer) on the service issues at Proof. The boys should know.

Nancy said...

I ate lunch there last week, Friday. I was so excited to be going there, and then my dish (homemade pasta with chicken) was so salty, I could hardly taste it! I was so embarrassed for them, thinking someone must have salted twice. Then, my mate mentioned her soup (tomato bread soup) was also too salty. Perhaps someone in the kitchen is a little heavy on the salt.

Nancy said...

And...GREAT blog Auntie S. Thanks for sharing the wealth of your food knowledge.

SBD said...

Hello,
Nancy!
I've been reading your blog as well and I got to see David all in one week.
Proof.....needs a manager!(a la Edie Bouvier)