Friday, August 8, 2008

Cafe Perusa, Louisville, KY

It took a little more than a drive around a strip mall to find Cafe Perusa, however, it was a welcoming facade that finally greeted us. We entered an opulent foyer.  The first positive omen was a MFK Fisher quote inscribed on the round entrance wall. It bodes well with me that owners/designers or chef are tuned into one of the great all time food writers. I was not to be disappointed by the lovely quote. Our host/seater was young and a bit unsure but adequate. A small suggestion would be to have sparkle and shine greeters. It would complete an otherwise excellent lesson in hospitality at Cafe Perusa. 
We were quickly introduced to a professional, friendly server. My fellow reviewer, Ashley Ethington and I vowed not to disclose our thoughts  during the meal. This proved exceedingly hard to do.  Suppressing ooohs and aaahs as the food arrived, presented in very stylish elongated dishes; was very difficult, indeed. Looks can be deceiving, but Persua does not rely on food as theater. They deliver. Our server quickly delivered out drinks, paying great attention to our wine by the glass choices. Our youngest dining partner, age three, was given equal attention to her beverage choice.
Tuesday night brings a value packed get acquainted tasting menu. Any item on the tasting menu would leave a diner happy. After my dining companion settled on venison and a salad from the special tasting menu, it opened the door for a culinary adventure for me. The oysters, from the well thought-out menu, were a siren song to me and they proved to be an excellent choice. Six Chesapeake Bay oysters arrived as plump, fresh and well prepared as any I have ever sampled. And not a slider among them. Each oyster had its own fine topping. Ranging from crab meat to a black pepper consomme, I was thrilled with each new taste sensation.   I sampled the crayfish salad and the two soups of the evening.  All three were taste delights. The lobster bisque was granted to me by my fellow reviewer after I moved my oysters down for his palate.  A dish so well executed had to be shared. My fellow reviewer didn't disclose his sentiments on the oysters, but he finished them off rather rapidly. We both agreed the bisque might have been better with a homemade stock but it was certainly tasty enough. The corn chowder would rival any I have tasted. We were ready for more............
We had a small glitch in our main course.  A new expeditor confused the orders and delivered food to the wrong table.  This could be a serious dining faux pas. Cafe Perusa's staff handled this with great charm and quickly delivered our dinners.  Hardly a miscue, but, a rather well handled moment.
Our entrees were a visual delight.My lamb was from New Zealand, as was the venison( served medium rare with a nice tart marmalade finish).  The salmon was wild caught and presented in a tempura batter.  The crab cake, while on the small side, delivered a wallop of fresh crab; allowing me to understand the complete dish from one shared bite. My lamb was so generous  and exciting in flavor, that I could share little lollipop  bites around the table.  A small side of corn pudding was masterfully finished, very rich and souffled.  Thinly cut sweet potato fries in a sweet, mint dipping sauce rounded out the plate, making this a perfect entree. I failed to mention the warm foccacia that appeared the moment we were seated.  It was served with a honey sweetened butter. Delicious!  Our desserts were well made and also passed around the table.  We sampled a rich flan and a very light chocolate cheesecake.
We split our tab, coming to about $90.00 per couple.  Our dining companions might have carried a bit of my food on their tab as I ventured into a pricier menu offering than the $25.00 tasting menu. It didn't seem to matter as we all left marveling at his new, exciting and well staffed dining option in Louisville, Ky.  It is my hope this location will prove to be a positive choice,   Otherwise, I hope we always keep this transplanted New Orleans chef here in Louisville.

1 comment:

ashley said...

hey everyone- my review of cafe perusa should be up late today. maybe tomorrow. if you have a restaurant in question and need to know the skinny on it, shoot us the name and we'll know it or dig something up. worst case i guess we could make something up. we'll be educated though.