Saturday, August 16, 2008

Jack Fry's, a Louisville gem

Yesterday was, well, one of those days.  I had a billion things on my list and WFS slid through three counties chasing the almighty $$$$, plus protecting the rights of the downtrodden. We met around four to look at kitchen tiles.  We searched through an industrial park for 20 minutes locating the showroom.  When I could HEAR the clenching of teeth, I knew I had pushed the limits on the day. 
WFS said firmly, we need to go to dinner, let's go to Jack Fry's. In our city, we all know this is a top dining experience and also very difficult to get into on a whim.  Calls were made, no reservations, but Stephanie, the new owner, offered a suggestion; come down just before five and queue up.   Two of the forty seats are held for walk-ins.    In less than 30 minutes we (along with fifteen other hopefuls)occupied the parking lot.  WFS, not to be foiled, STOOD in front of the door, first in line.  As the door open, promptly at 5:30, we were ushered to the only table in Jack Fry's.  A bustling crowd followed us and several guests were turned away.  Our server, came by immediately for drinks.  Our friend, Terry,( and server) dropped by our table to welcome us.  Stephanie stopped by and said she was so happy we got a table.  Even in a very hurried moment, each person took a moment of time, is there a lesson here in hospitality?
We ordered wine by the glass, our server suggested a D'Arenberg,'HermitCrab' 06 white blend for me....WFS thought I would prefer my usual sauvignon blanc.  We ordered.. a few sips into my sauvignon blanc, our pretty server stopped by to ask how I liked my wine, I brightly said it was okay...Not good enough, said our server, let's get you the D'Arenberg.  She promptly delivered the replacement wine, WFS drank the first choice and the night was off to an auspicious beginning.
We ordered our salads and dinners.  My dining companion, WFS, ordered escargot( JF's does it best), a beet and goat cheese salad and the vegetarian dish, Potato Gratin.  I ordered Heirloom tomatoes and the night's fish special, Halibut with green lentils.  We both dove into the escargot served with Blue Dog bread.  We sipped our wines and felt our cares drift away~~~
Our salads arrived timely.  WFS had a tower of yellow beets served with arugula and Capriole goat cheese. A light drizzle of vinaigrette was the finishing touch.  This would be salad I would devour if it were not for tomatoes.  The heirloom tomatoes came served with a thinned, peppy thousand island dressing and a artistic edge of balsamic.  I must tell you, this was a culinary coup.
Our main courses were equally stunning.  I am not a huge fan of lentils.  Many times lentils appear to have spent way too long in the kettle.  These were toothsome, fresh and packed with flavor.  The halibut was perfectly seared, topped with frisee, then creatively complimented with a small accent of veal reduction. All combined, this dish was a taste sensation.  Groaning from food, we were prepared to call it an evening....
Desserts were offered and then~~~~~~~the night's dessert special was explained.  Green tea bundt cake served with a reduction of green tea syrup, finished with nectarines and blackberries.  Siren song!  I will close by saying, white nectarines,perfectly ripe swimming in green tea syrup, surrounding an individual green tea cake set this girl's heart pumping.  Our bill was reasonable and the new owner, Stephanie treated us to the appetizer.  This was unexpected and very gracious.
We left with the other early diners feeling so lucky to get a table in the best of Louisville.
The only comparison I have from my travels is Harrison's in NYC...they aren't as good as JF's but the vibe is there.

No comments: