Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dinner at Seven

Tonight my friend, Cis Wilson, arrived from Maine by USAIR around six-thirty. I thought it would be nice
to have dinner ready.  It all started at the farmer's market~~~~~~~~~~~~
Corn, that unbelievable summer treat. Perhaps my last wish would be corn, straight from the garden, into a pot, blanched a few minutes, slathered in butter and salt......I digress.
Okay, so the corn, and peppers, and some fresh thyme and some chorizos left here by Cathy Loup, far in the back of the frig...a few frozen shrimp....cream, eggs...what does the cook create?  Well, it was a variation on corn pudding but filled with all of the shrimp, chorizos, peppers, thyme...I sliced some tomatoes...stolen from my friend Bob Ethington's garden.  With a little help from my friend, David and then there was Ashley...It's a guy thing.  You see, I could just walk in the garden and help myself, that is the way the Ethignton's are....generous, kind, loving, giving....however, stealthing into the garden has become a frightfully fun afternoon for moi....
oh, the dinner! Tomatoes, so red, ripe and perfect.  A little olive oil, basil and salt...you can hold the olive oil and basil.  Tomatoes are perfection.
I called Dan, asked him how he made this okra that spun my head around.  The guy at the farmer's market had some tiny little okra.  Dan told me two variations.  WFS likes everything crunchy/fried.  So I chose version 2... Marinade the okra in lemon, garlic and salt...then dust them with cornmeal, salt and tumeric....fry them up! OOOOOOOWEEEEE, they were good. ...Cis loves cole slaw, so I made her some.  Like Mom's, tangy and crunchy. Some Blue Dog bread and a glass of Bordeaux Blanc...French, darlings!  
I threw together a peach and ginger cake, topped with fresh peaches from Pennsylvania.  A little whipped cream. Heaven.
My dinner at seven stretched on until nine.
I must go find my pjs and sleep at least ten hours.  Seems civilized, yes?



6 comments:

Dan Dutton said...

That certainly sounds delish! I think the okra recipe - originally splitting the tender pods and filling them with a paste of garlic, lemon juice, salt & tumeric - came from Ghana. I'll check back & see. It IS African - I'm just not sure now exactly where.

Switching around to rolling them in corn meal and tumeric adds nostalgia to an already great combination of flavors - at least for those of us who grew up eating Cebah's fried okra.

Cathy said...

I am pleased beyond measure to have played a role in dinner for Cis, even by proxy. Although I was sure Dan and I polished off that chorizo! The corn pudding and cake sound divine.

And your comment about WFS' affection for crunchy/fried gives me one more reason to love him.

SBD said...

You are so loved in Kentucky, we would fry the whole pig for you!

Dan Dutton said...

Ah, bourbon & sausage - what a night!

SBD said...

you two were more fun than Halloween!

SBD said...

And more fun than Halloween!