Thursday, January 8, 2009

Searching for a Home











Yesterday was a blizzardy day. It did not stop my brother Dan and I from going into some uncharted territory near our home. Dan used to walk home from school through the tangles and scrub brush of this area. I had an entirely different route home...straight across the hill where our great-great grandparents, great grandparents and grandparents lived. The place my father was born. Though it is only a short distance from our family cemetery and in full sight of developing subdivision and other unearthly abominations, it remained to us, a hidden part of history. The Duttons came to KY in early 1800 and have remained steadfast all these years. The first Duttons found this little spot and called it home. Dan found the springs that fed this fertile little vale and the stones forming fences and door stoops. We broke our way through the undergrowth to stand where our ancestors stood. It is an awe inspiring. We both know this is a precious commodity. One that might not make it through the next gouges in the earth.
It is magical to stand quietly and sense how it might have been almost 200 years ago.
I couldn't help but add the photo of the pint whiskey bottle. No place is too sacred to be unblemished, it would appear.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm SO ENVIOUS! I wanna be there too.

SBD said...

The only thing possible to have made the day more perfect would have been you. Imagine the fun we could have...fortified perhaps with a flask of bourbon/brandy, a few chocolates from NYC~~...

Cathy said...

I like the way you think. ;-}

SBD said...

I have no boundaries~~~~~~
except the wrath of Cebah...We'll have to get home in time for dinner!