Monday, January 5, 2009

CEBAH



I dreamed last night of a leopard, snow
white with steely grey eyes. She moved gracefully,
leading me into her world.
The hem of my nightgown was covered in frost.
I crouched beside a rock, steel
coloured, like her eyes.
Snow was falling over my skin.
Hanging on me like a thin nightgown.
My hands were stuck on the cold stone. The cold
spread over me.
She ran, turned her head, glanced my way
and disappeared
Into the fog and snow.
I knew she could give me shelter, no matter
the risk.
Have no fears, move into the light. Time is fleeting.
I shook away the cold, searched the snow for
her tracks.
The dream shifts.
It says go on. Go away.
Do something.
My nightgown is frozen. I do not know where I am.
You must walk on.
Alone.
But, where?
How?
I taught you all your life.
I answer
Please.
I feel like a child.
I am terribly afraid.
I remember the wolves.
I remember the ghosts.
I do not know this ghostly beast.
I hear laughter.
I see the fire.
I cannot make it to the center.
I cannot hear a sound.
A cloud droops down.
I am alone.

10 comments:

Dan Dutton said...

Exquisite.

SBD said...

I'm blushing. One word. You are a master

Cathy said...

I'm crying and trying to think of something to say.

Dan already said it.

SBD said...

This poem came out in one complete movement. I reread it and could not believe it was about Mom. I never realized that as I was dreaming..,,.
I am grateful you like it

Cathy said...

"Like" doesn't do it, SB dearest. This pierced me to the heart.

SBD said...

How does one describe having such a dream? It is symbolic, humbling and also frightening.
I let it flow.

ashley said...

this needs to be in print. i just realized my first comment did not go through- i love this poem, it is very thought provoking.

Anonymous said...

What an emotional, gut wrenching response I had to that. And that's all I can ask from a work of art.
Pete P.

Stephanie Shayne said...

It's true and right and real and hit me hard. I loved it.

ashley said...

Still great