Thursday, December 11, 2008

Skunk Cabbage


On my recent visit to Dutton Hill and Pete's Spring, I photographed this plant known locally as skunk cabbage. Cathy, Dan and I were scrambling back up the steep embankment from the spring. This is an addition to my little summaries below. I could daydream for hours about the possibilities of my imaginary friends building a house under these soft petals.
One more addition. The creche you see in the photo below was found by WFS many, many years ago at a garage sale. An old man was closing up his house and had a few odds and ends in his garage.He looked very sad about leaving 60+ years behind. We promised to give the creche a good home. WFS and I have a strong sentimental attachment to the creche...the cotton used for the snow is exactly the same as when we purchased the creche...

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I forgot to mention how lovely the tree looks. And the creche is wonderful!

I loved our walk back from Pete's Spring. I wanted to build a teepee under that great tree.

SBD said...

The little creche is so humble, just like it should be...it is the only religious icon we adhere to, year after year....I see that elderly man and WFS when I retrieve it from the box...the same box we bought it in!

Cathy said...

Wouldn't he be thrilled that his creche found such a good home?