Friday, December 12, 2008

A sad Loss


Well we have already had one article on the loss of some good restaurants in louisville. but what happened this last week was the passing of an institution. before we get into that, let me say what an institution is to me. In 2005 i was dining at Galatoire's on a sunday night- very important. When we walked in the doors, the nice louisiana native asked which server we wanted. i was somewhat appalled at this question, having never dined there before. Apparently sunday is the night that only natives dine at this Bourbon St. legacy. There were some really interesting folks in there when i was. I saw probably the largest diamond not in a museum on this lady's hand, but she had to have a tired arm from showing it off to the whole restaurant in an effort to show she was the matriarch of the south. as the potato souffle with bernaise went down, and the creole shrimp with remoulade were digesting, i walked to the back of the restaurant towards the water closets, and i saw something strange. there was a desk against the back wall with enough space to stand behind it. it was very cluttered and there was a man standing behind it. I told him it was atypical for a restaurant to have a desk, and he said "this is not a restaurant, it's an institution". I was speechless and he was too. no humor, just facts, and as i drank out of my wine glass that said 100 years of service, the institution moniker sank in. (that glass was 3 years old at the time). The only other restaurant I have dined in in the US with a desk visible in the dining room was the Union Oyster House in Boston. The lady who sat at that desk next to the half round bar and the dumb weighter (not dumb waiter) must have been 94 years of age, but she was as spry as ever. Dig a little on this establishment- I believe it is the oldest restaurant in the country. great food and great atmosphere- make sure you do not get a table, if you miss the international conversation at the DOWNSTAIRS bar, you might as well go to Cheers.

ok- last week we lost Mazzoni's. Now that you know what an institution means to me, you know how hurt i am in the passing of this restaurant. they started downtown , moved to taylorsville rd later, and most recently relocated by pig city bbq on us 60. The fried clams were always my favorite, with that great tartar sauce, but the oysters is what brought the masses in. the pressed tin ceiling and beautiful wood bar and bar back made this place. the cool photos of old louisville history added so much. I was lucky to dine at the restaurant one last time during the ryder cup. i wish these guys would give a one week warning to the public before they go down, so that people like us can go and say goodbye to our friends before they pass on.

So patrons, go out there and dine at your favorite rstaurants, it is hard times for everyone i know, but we lost a piece of americana last week. it is tough seeing these places go down, especially when there is so much history attached to a locale. the picture at right was a guy that must have worked there for at least 25 years. i remember him as a kid when my dad used to take me for dinner in the early 80's. he seemed to me the epitome of what a waiter/barkeep should be. professional, no nonsesse, long mustache, and a knack for pouring a cold beer from a tap. here's to the memories of restaurants past, and the good ol' days. AE

1 comment:

SBD said...

Our hands might get weary from patting each other on the back, but this blog has big meaning....each time I return to my favorite haunts, I realize it takes more and more to keep these places open.....
I want to KEEP them open, for very selfish reasons, I suppose.
Thanks for the reminder of the fraigle nature of old institutions. I fall in that category myself!