Thursday, March 4, 2010

DEATH OF A MOTHER


A dear friend's mother died early this morning in LA. We have shared our experiences with the decline and loss of our mothers.
These words literally fell out this morning. I think it is Dan and I in the last moments. However, it is for Stephanie Shane Parkin, daughter of Betty Shane.

Death of a Mother

Silence takes a moment
it's there
you wait and still,
still is the calm.
A flutter takes you
to all the times,
fraught and final.
The hand relaxed,
the jaw set
it is the moment
the silence
it is death.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Beautiful and terrible at the same time, Sarah.

RIP, Bette.

SBD said...

I think those words shattered our resolve...
tears are flowing

Nancy said...

I am listening for the peepers, and sad to know Grandma heard the first peepers for the last time, last spring. Enjoy the rebirth of spring, it may be your last time.

Anonymous said...

I have such admiration her daughter. There was never anyone who fought such a heroic battle in support of her mother over this last part of the journey.
Pp

SBD said...

Nancy, the peepers will surely be her lasting legacy...she loved that sound of spring~
I am growing into the woman my mom wanted me to be, anon~~~~

Cathy said...

Sarah Belle, it was so obvious that Cebah was very proud of you and loved you to bits.

I'm so grateful that I got to spend this time with her, and you and Danny, and our dear Stephanie.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, Thank you for sharing that, dear friend. Cathy said it so accurately so I'll quote her. I'm fresh out of originality today. It is "Beautiful and terrible at the same time." I was honored and blessed to meet Cebah that glorious day. SSP

SBD said...

Stephanie, the beauty was there to be sure. the joy she felt, the trip to find persimmons. May comfort surround you, dear friend