Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thumbelina

The past few months have been revelatory in many ways. First, I did not realize nor expect to be buckled to my knees by the death of our sweet, little puppy Chloe. Chlobel had lived with us 12 & 1/2 years. She was five weeks old when I slipped her in my sweatshirt pocket. She traveled across the US with WFS and me. I will miss her the rest of my life.
When my mother died in January, I held onto her unflinching fortitude. Her entire life journey was one of survival and resolve. I felt, in many ways, her legacy to me was to buck up. Look the devil in the eye and never blink. Weather the storm, stay the course. I honored her in death. I kept a brave countenance. I followed her roadmap. Dignity and poise. Holding my shoulders straight while walking with a book on my head. She was and still is my foundation of steel.
I reckoned all of her lessons. I did not cry at her funeral. I tried to be brave. I finally realized, my mom never taught me not to feel .. My mother told me not to cry. I honored my mother's wishes. I think my mother guided me to wail for Chloe. That is how I have reckoned my year of great loss.
Secondly, after many years of collecting a world of crap and some divinely inspired stuff, WFS and I have decided to chuck it all( or more accurately, a major portion) and live out our dream of traveling. We intend to drift about until we see all we want to see. We have purchased a lop-sided 1870's Station Master's house, moved in the 30's from the rail station on Frankfort Avenue to a knoll in Reservoir Park. Thumbelina is a "shot-gun" house measuring a compact 1125 square feet. She is completely charming and once I figure out how to resolve a two inch drop in the middle of the house, the fun of making her come to life will begin in earnest.
I have vowed to blog our adventures. I might spare you the three day marathon English Ivy removal. Except to say, it is a nasty, invasive, noxious weed and is currently clogging some nearby landfill. Horrors. As my wise son said, English Ivy is only good for an ant highway. The kid is right.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Lovely post, Sarah Belle! So excited to tag along on this next stage of your glorious journey.

ashley said...

The nomadic life also calls my name. I'm very happy you will be "on the road"

SBD said...

It is great to see comments from my two soul mates. Food and travel fuel our very souls. I intend to burn a bright torch across the land and see both of you in exotic locales!