Friday, November 5, 2010

The Blind Pig

Life gets so busy that simple pleasures are swept away. One simple pleasure I love and count on is a spontaneous dinner with people I love. Especially, if the ones I love are, say, under 12 years old. Thursday evening brought AE, Sierra, WFS and I together for dinner. Sierra had just finished her dance class and AE just returned from a long tour of Asia. We had much to talk about. It had been far too long since we had family time! As Sierra's substitute Grandmother, the two of us were welded for the evening. WFS and AE discussed all those "guy" topics.
" Any new spots in Louisville?"AE asks... oh, yes, says I! Let's go to Butchertown, to The Blind Pig!
We drove into this up and coming neighborhood's lively eatery, located on a corner directly across the street from the old packing plant. Industrial, edgy & repurposed, this cool new space has a hip vibe, wildly imaginative menu that bridges a much needed addition to Louisville's dining scene.
Wine, beer and cocktails are made to excite and make one linger at the long bar. We ate at the bar on a previous visit and found dinner with the barkeeps to be rewarding & fun! On Thursday, we were seated at a booth with a great view of the entire restaurant. Sierra and I played on the iPad, so, moot point.
WFS ordered wine and AE had a goat slinger cocktail. The night was off to a good start. We ordered mussels in a garlic,fennel broth and crispy oysters served with a champagne sauce and aioli. The aioli was tart with lemon and had just the right balance of garlic. I saved a bit of the aioli for dipping my Blue Dog bread. I lapped the mussel broth, filled with crunchy fresh sauteed fennel.
Sierra ordered sausages, as did WFS. I ordered the bean chili and AE ordered the Ivory Bacon sandwich. Each bite we took was accompanied by oohs and ahhs. Sierra, world traveler and foodie, said, this is a fat wiener! She ate eleven mussels and nearly all of her sausage. AE had to eat fast to keep the other dining companions from devouring his entire serving of fresh cut French Fries! Superb!
The cabbage served with the sausages was perfect. Nothing more to say.
My soup was hearty, filled with six beans, tomatoes and tons of spice. Perfect soup for an autumn evening.
Sierra and AE had a bedtime curfew. WFS and I stayed, savored the moment, and spilt a brown butter tart.
The service was swift and professional. The price for dinner for four, a bargain.
I think we all would say: Welcome to Louisville. We hope you stay a long, long time.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm so happy to see a new P & P post from you, Sarah Belle! The place sounds wonderful, and the company even better. I love that Sierra is such an enthusiastic gourmette.

SBD said...

I have to return to blogging

ashley said...

Well you certainly hit the nail on the head. She was proud of those 11 mussels. I'll add that my sandwich was bacon and link sausage, and the bacon was anything but conventional. Great carnivore spot!!