Saturday, June 19, 2010

PAUITE, PYRAMID LAKE

Shore birds and water gently lapping brought my senses to alert in pre-dawn light. From deep inside my warm cocoon I could sense the morning light. I missed the starry skies, time changes and two days of extreme travel left me road weary. After our dinner, a walk and clean-up, I got my reading light, book and magic pillow and crawled into the tent.
Winds are fierce around Pyramid Lake, it is very lunar and desolate. The ranger advised us to camp on Windless Beach. A slightly protected cove, that loosely meant one could stake down the tent and not be
blown away. She said the winds would die down in the night but roar in like a tornado in the early morning. The winds did roar,
but, our little tent did not quiver. Yeah Mountain Hardgear! The azure water against the granite mountains are a brilliant contrast. The stillness juxtaposed with lashing winds were the very essence of primal. This lovely lovely country speaks to my soul. This crazy nomadic travel isn't for everyone.... But, for WFS & me, it is paradise.
These two seasoned travelers forgot to buy camp stove fuel, so, we made a beeline to Reno REI! California, here we come!

No comments: