Tuesday, September 11, 2012

THE MISADVENTURES OF SBD! WFS & MOMO


No one could argue that I have, for the most part, a sunny disposition. I like happy. I like things orderly. I dislike mishaps, which I consider blunders of the ill prepared. Unless, they happen like this: Day one: we drive into the remnants of Hurricane Isaac...rain whooshes across the front of the TinCan as we crawl along I65 @ a snail's pace. The rain is so torrential we consider stopping along the side of the interstate. We crept on. The rain would cease, for a few minutes, bringing a much needed respite....after a short pause, the rain would bear down on us again..full bore. In Nashvile, clear skies prevailed. Jaxon runs to hug me and says, "let's sit in the airstream"... We open the door and the front bed is soaked! This bed belongs to WFS! Not too great a tragedy, as my bed is bone dry! The next few hours are spent drying the comforter and sheets. Day two: we set off for Georgia, my sunny disposition matches the weather. This holds true until we hit the Georgia border. Then Isaac unleashes its fury again. Jason & WFS have repaired the seal around the window...I am confident we will have no more leaks...still, shouldn't I check at the rest stop? The seal is holding back the water but a small trickle for several hours means another wet corner. sigh. WFS says our ship took on water. It happens. We move on. Day three: we arrive in sunny Fort Desoto. The lead in for this mostly undiscovered place is... If you think paradise is lost, think again. It WAS paradise...complete with a gazillion no see ums to keep the riff raff away from the aforementioned paradise. I seem to be totally unattrative to midges but WFS is a magnet and I will say this, paradise yeilded more little red bites than I thought was humanly possible. Poor guy. We soldiered on~~ Day four: Momo was chosen for a Thundershirt commercial and we basked on a midge free beach extolling the virtues of paradise. Day five: we jump on our bikes eager to relive our perfect day on the beach. We are excited that Momo will have a morning romp on the beach. Just as we turn onto the beach, a young couple approached us... "There's a man on the beach and things don't look good." The beach is empty except for a body on the shore. At that same moment three police vehicles swing down the beach access road. Things don't look good. The young couple are totally unnerved. We sit on a picnic table with them, trying to help them through this terrible event....the sad news is the night before the man jumped from a bridge. 250 feet down to the Gulf of Mexico. Day six: camping neighbors from hell arrive. Three vehicles, two dogs, one boat and three tents. The park rangers thinned out the vehicles & one tent but the congregating was constant as was the wretched music they blared on a cheap radio. And the no see ums gnawed away ~~~ Day 7: paradise lost. We retreated to the north to Fernandina Beach where paradise is civilized and protected and midge free. Day 8,9: sunny disposition intact. Order restored. The moral of my story is: never trust a sunny disposition on the way to paradise

3 comments:

Cathy said...

What a marvelous travelog! Wish I'd been along for the adventure - I would have deflected at least half the midges from poor Bill's precious hide. xoxo

SBD said...

He bought everything available. The answer: baby oil. They cannot bite through oil! Who knew? I was slathered in Burt's Bee Balm & got by... We did have fun. I cleaned up the bad grammar & punctuation this morning!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara, Bill and Momo!

It's Susan, Bob, Maggie and Carly from St. George Island State Park in Florida. We're in Louisville staying at Fort Knox and I lost your contact info. If you get this and are in town please email us at Susanpowers87@gmail.com so we can stop by and say Hello! Your blog is fantastic!

Hugs from the Powers Family.
susanpowers87@gmail.com