Friday, August 10, 2012

DUST IN THE REARVIEW


That little phrase "dust in the rear view mirror" has been a mantra of mine for many, many years. I have always wanted to ramble. To leave. To go. I truly didn't want a plan, just dust in my rearview mirror. Unencumbered. The past few years have changed my approach to travel. I plan(sigh), I make lists, I organize like mad. This approach to travel is a huge departure from the free falling, adrenal loaded, thrill seeking adventures in my days of yore. I KNOW where I am going, where I will be and pretty much what I will be doing during my current travels. I have learned the meaning of the word, yield. Significantly, yield: to give up and cease resistance or contention. This metamorphosis occurred as my travel plans included another human being(WFS)and dogs( Chloe and Momo)...maybe I could cut to the chase and give a more straight forward assessment: age, birthdays, many moons. In the past month, I have been humbled by a very terrifying infection and five day hospital stay. I numbed my brain during the entire ordeal. I think I am a very unusual person, I can face almost anything if I can still my brain and NOT think. My very overactive brain is engaged again and ready for a holiday in the TinCan. I want to reflect on the road ahead. Metaphorically and physically. I want to sit quietly with my human companion and romp with my puppy companion. I want to watch the rear view very, very carefully, without dust in my eyes.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Have a lovely trip in the cool north. I'm very glad you are well and prospering.

SBD said...

Thanks, Amy... Almost there! Yay.