Saturday, March 7, 2009

Caffe Classico

WFS and I just got home from an evening of divine dining. Today we worked in the yard/gardens cleaning up from the winter ice storm. We decided we should go for an easy dinner out. We both agreed on Tommy Mudd's, Caffe Classico. The Miracle Fries( so dubbed by Jaxon) are a completely satisfying dinner all alone...
But I digress.
Let me start at the beginning. We walk into this Clifton Community jewel~~ hellos echo from Kasey, Audrey and Tommy. WFS is promptly brought his wine...no frippery...just done. My drink needs are a little more complex,it is very, very difficult for me to resist a latte~~~~ however, tonight I settled for good old water and lemon.
We ordered Belgian Pomme Frites and Mussels for our first course. These delightful dishes were brought to our table steaming hot and so so so good. We sopped and dipped and ate every single bite.
We ordered the Chicken Roulade for our main course. Here again, we were served a good solid dish with no frippery. The roulades are pinwheels of chicken, pesto and pine nuts. They are served with risotto cakes and fresh asparagus spears. This dish was perfectly cooked and presented.
Here's the nicest thing about Caffe Classico: Families, young lovers, early birds, diverse cultures and late night coffee drinkers all coexist in this space. The second nicest thing is: Ordering one dish to be split is not frowned upon...actually, Tommy thrives on making his guests seem comfortable with their dining decisions...the ultimate nicest thing is: Kasey walking over and handing me a hand written birthday card.
We split a dulce de leche cookie and came home happy happy happy!
Our meal cost 48.50 and I left a 12.00 tip for Kasey...the reason being, it is amongst the best service in town and the value is so good I always feel happy to leave a little extra.
As we stepped into the lovely night air, Tommy called to us, you think you can get away without saying goodnight?
That is the love we need in our neighborhood.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I love this place. And the fries are killer.

SBD said...

and you, dear girl, know your food...sometimes, that
little respite is all I need.
I miss you,dreadfully...and WFS is mourning...and the dogs are howling and the kitties are hiding under the bed...come back!